MOROCCAN SPICES | 7 Organic North African Spices
Part Arab and Berber influenced, Moroccan food is spicy heavy with simple ingredients. Pair it with The Food of Morocco by food travel write Paula Wolfert.
Included in the Moroccan gift set:
- 7 small hexagon magnetic jars for your fridge
- Durable glass jars are reusable
- Filled with certified organic + kosher spices
- Air tight lids to keep spices fresh
- Silver lids hand-stamped with spice names
- Strong magnets keep jars from sliding
- Internal barrier between magnet and spices
Certified organic, kosher + fair trade seasonings included in this set:
- sweet paprika
- white pepper
- ras el hanout ("top of the house" spice blend)
Adapted from Paula Wolfert's Couscous and Other Good Food from Morocco, 1987.
Most Moroccan food is made of humble things: tomatoes, peppers, pumpkin, olive oil, herbs, spices, eggs, honey, grains, couscous, legumes, fragrant waters. There are certain components essential to real Moroccan cooking: preserved lemons, preserved butter (called smen), olives pickled with aromatics, and vegetables preserved in brine or in raipe (a kind of yogurt in which milk is thickened by an element in the hairy centers of wild artichokes). Bread is very important in Moroccan dining, both as food and as an implement for grasping hold of meat or vegetables, swirling them in the gravy of a tagine, and then transporting them to the mouth. I find that Moroccan food always tastes better when eaten Moroccan-style, with the first three fingers of the right hand. The contact between fingers and a hot tagine, fingers and a crisp bisteeya, fingers and a tender mechoui, always adds to the pleasure. I urge everyone to eat a Moroccan dinner this way.
Other books we recommend:
- Morocco: A Culinary Journey by Jeff Koehler
- Tagines and Couscous or Tagine: Spicy stews from Morocco by Ghillie Basan
Small jars measure 1.75” wide by 2” tall; and hold a shy 1/4 cup volume. These jars are smaller than traditional spice containers; smaller amounts of spice stay fresh. Refill with us or in bulk at your local natural foods store. Jars are made to stick to your fridge or any steel surface. Purchase a mini wall plate if you need to store jars on a backsplash.
New to Gneiss Spice? Please watch our FAQ videos here.