1) Do you have shaker lids available? Coming soon! We are currently working on a shaker top insert to be used with the large spice jars. When available, this will be offered as an add-on item.
2) How do I get a jar out of the middle of the honeycomb pattern? If you are storing jars on the fridge, it's easy to slide the jars around and get your fingers around one and take it out of the middle. If storing jars on a steel plate, the magnetic pull is much stronger, and the jars won't slide around as much. In this scenario, we like to keep our most commonly used spices on the outside of the honeycomb. Depending on how you arrange the jars, the majority of jars can be grabbed the edge of the design (for example, in set of 24 jars, the most you'll ever have is 10 jars in the "middle" of the honeycomb). I have small fingers and have never noticed it to be an inconvenience! We get this question all the time...and no one has yet come back to complain! We'd love to hear your feedback, too. As always, we want you to be totally satisfied and love cooking with your jars, so if you find it to be inconvenience, let us know!
3) Can't I just DIY a similar system? Sure! That's how we made our first spice rack in 2009. However, here are the additional benefits you'll get from purchasing our system.
- Food Safe: Certified food-safe stainless steel magnet cover separes spices and magnets. Our magnet caps will keep your jars lasting longer and protect your spices.
- Professional: Commercially available jars have mold #s on the jar bottom—interrupting your view of the spices. Not only are these mold #s annoying to look at...they will also get in the way if you apply labels to the bottom of your jars. In 2014, we did a kickstarter to raise the capital to customize our jars to have smooth/flat bottoms.
- Personalized: Custom hand-stamping make Gneiss Spice jars unique. If you purchase our filled jars or personalized empty jars, we hand-emboss the lids with spice names (or whatever names you desire).
- Time Saving: For your DIY project, you'll need to figure out the correct magnet size and strength to work with your jars. (Not to mention the time to put it together). Save even more time buy purchasing one of our pre-filled, super fresh organic spice kits!
- Support Women-Owned / Operated Small Business: Three women make Gneiss Spice work! We pay fair wages, invest in our community and donate at least 5% of profits to charities focusing on food sustainability and equality issues.
4) Small vs Large Jars:
- SMALL JARS: If you have access to loose/bulk spices at a natural food store, we recommend using the small jars and refilling them often. Then, your spices will always be fresh and will improve the quality of your cooking. If you do not have a bulk spice section at your grocery store, you can buy small size appropriate refills from us! Small jars hold 1/4 cup volume of spice.
- LARGE JARS: If you cook a lot, then go with our larger jars! (A lot means you'll use 1/2 cup of spice within a year). Large jars are similar to a typical grocery store container, and are a good option if you'll be transferring from standard spice containers. We also sell large spice refills here.
5) What size should I buy if I'm transferring grocery store spices? Our large jars will work well for transfer of traditional grocery bottles. However, promise me you'll give your spices a sniff, and make sure they are worthy of transferring! If you don't smell much, it's time for fresh spices.
6) When should I replace my spices? Ground spices should be used in about 1 year. Whole spices will last about 2 years. To tell if your spices are fresh enough to use—give them a sniff! If they still smell delicious, use them. If not, it's time to compost them and refill your jars. Cooking is an act of love, don't ruin it with stale spices!
7) Are your spice really organic? Yes! Not only that, they are ethically and sustainably harvested. And, most important, they are super fresh and the absolute best quality you can buy. Click here to read about where we source our spices and herbs.
8) Do I need to wash my jars before filling with spices? We work in a certified food-safe kitchen, and practice the highest sanitation standards. Your jars and lids are handled carefully, and are sent to you ready to use! Happy Cooking!
9) How many jars can I fit on a wall plate?
- 6x8-inch plate: 13 small jars
- 10x12-inch plate: 28 small jars or 18 large jars
- 12x15-inch plate: 50 small jars or 30 large jars
- 14x14-inch plate: 50 small jars or 30 large jars
- 12x15-inch plate: 50 small jars or 30 large jars
- 20x10-inch plate: 60 small jars or 32 large jars
10) Do you ship internationally? Yes! For most locations, we use DHL International Express. For all orders over $99, our international shipping prices are discounted between $10-$20, since all of our domestic customers enjoy free shipping! Read shop policies here.
11) INTERNATIONAL ORDERS / Will I have to pay duties/customs fees? International packages are shipped DDU (Delivered Duties Unpaid). Depending on your country, you may have to pay customs fees to receive your parcel. Our international shipping prices are discounted well below our actual costs, and we hope this will help compensate for any fees you may have to pay for delivery. Read shop policies here.
12) What is your return policy? Read our shop policies here. We want you to be 100% in love with your new spice jars, so please contact us regarding any issues.
13) My jars are sliding, what can I do? Please contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will work with you to figure out a solution.